This is an LT344, my first LeCroy scope, bought in Germany for EUR 500 on 10th March 2020. I drove there to pick it up. (The borders became closed due to COVID19 the next day.) It had no errors other than the belt in the floppy. I had a similar one so replaced it. After a generic cleaning I switched it on and began to use it. The first impression was the big color screen. My former and only digital scope was a Tek TDS220, which I did not want to switch on any more due to the small black and white display. I liked it anyway, because it was small and noiseless, but decided to sell it. It went to a young engineer who was happy to get it relatively cheap.
A few months later I felt like buying another one. Just imagined that my scope goes wrong so I definitely need another one to repair it. It happened the opposite way, I bought a WR64Xi which needed to be repaired using the good old LT344, see the story on the 'Xi' tab.
When I realized that my WR 64Xi has defects I was in kind of a panic. I was not sure at all that I can repair it. I began to search for some donor of the same type on eBay. While I just missed one, I found a Waverunner 2 LT584M which laid there since a long time advertised as a one with some defects. I could get it for USD 700 plus the delivery to Europe plus some additional fees.
It was a long journey from California to Budapest, finally it has arrived on 4th March 2021. It had only one relay defect in the frontend, plus the usual encoder problems. After changing the relay and refurbishing all encoders it became my third LeCroy gear. This way if I repair any of them, still have a working one on each of my two desks at home. Both of my LT's arrived with only one leg remained on the side. It is a cheap piece of plastic, but could not find any with the same dimensions, so machined eight pieces brand new legs for them. They deserve it. Building a compatible Ethernet board I always suffered from the fact that the RS232 communication speed with the ScopeExplorer can not be set higher than 19200 bps. That is pretty slow for screen image transfers. As this WR2 had the board installed, and I could not buy another one for the WR1, I decided to make a compatible board. The Ethernet controller chip seemed to be still available. After reading it's datasheet it was clear that very few additional functions were needed: a proper address decoder and some conversion of the read/write signals between the bus and the chip. This functionality must comfortably fit to an ATF1502 CPLD of which I had a few pieces in the drawer. It took a few afternoons to figure out the proper arrangement, but finally it began to work, so now I have the Ethernet connectivity in each of my scopes.